Crispy Potatoes-Katy Hacker Recipe
I promise you I lost about 10 + pounds pretty quickly when I became a vegan 10+ years ago.
TRUTH. I ate a LOT of potatoes. White potatoes, sweet potatoes.
Potatoes sautéed with a bunch of veggies and greens. Crispy roasted potatoes. Baked potatoes.
Potatoes don’t make you fat my friends.
It’s the french fries. Or maybe all the butter and sour cream loaded on said potatoes.
Don’t be so afraid of the carbs and the starches my friends.
All carbs are not created equal. A donut is just not the same as brown rice. It always confuses me when people are ok eating a bunch of cheese or fatty foods but they won’t dare eat a serving of rice or quinoa. Calories in and calories out, am I right? Cheese and oil. Super caloric.
Fat: 9 calories per gram
Carbs: 4 calories per gram
Protein: 4 calories per gram
Sugar: 4 calories per gram
Just some math for you to chew on.
I’m not saying go carb crazy. Obviously you want to get enough protein and eat a well balanced diet. I just don’t feel like I need to worry about carbs. Could I eat less pizza? For sure. Do I have a six-pack? Not even close.
Like I said, pizza. Also, beer. Both make that six pack difficult.
For the most part though, I’m ok with the carbs I’m eating. Steel cut oats, brown rice, quinoa and Ezekiel Bread.
And all the potatoes.
I made these crispy roasted potatoes specifically to pair with my Golden Turmeric Vegan Yogurt Sauce. I’m crazy in love with this sauce and had to make as many thing as possible to dip into it.
It’s creamy, tangy and oh so delicious. I highly recommend doubling the recipe to have enough on hand to last you all week. It’s perfect for roasted veggies or sweet potato fries. I often drizzle it on my grain bowls. Rice, quinoa or farro served with roasted veggies, beans/lentils , and greens. Plant based perfection.
These crispy roasted potatoes though.
Seasoned perfectly. Crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Just waiting to be dipped into a yummy sauce.
I seasoned these crispy roasted potatoes with curry powder, garam masala, garlic powder, a little turmeric and salt and pepper. Feel free to experiment with whatever spices you may have on hand or that suite your taste.
These will perfectly satisfy your french fry craving, in a far healthier way.
The key to a healthier, yet crispy potato is
- boil them first, just until tender
- let them dry completely before roasting
- this process requires less oil while still achieving that ever so important crispy texture
If you don’t boil them first you have to use a lot more oil so they have time to cook through before they start to burn. I don’t like a greasy potato. The less oil the better in my opinion. I prefer none actually. But I’m going for comfort food here, so a little oil is necessary.
I hope you’ll try these potatoes. If not, at least try the sauce and pour it on everything. You won’t be disappointed. As always, please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @katyskitchn with photos of your creations.
CRISPY ROASTED POTATOES WITH GOLDEN TURMERIC YOGURT SAUCE ((VEGAN))
Crispy roasted potatoes. Just as satisfying as french fries, far healthier. Golden brown, spiced and seasoned. Served with a vegan golden turmeric yogurt sauce that is creamy, tangy and perfect for dipping.
Author: Katy Hacker
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 10 ounces ( about 2 cups cut in half ) petite potatoes (golden yellow, red or tri-colored )
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Golden Turmeric Yogurt Sauce
- Bring large pot of water to a boil (enough to cover potatoes by 2 inches)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Add potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes, until potatoes are just tender and easily pierced with knife
- Drain potatoes and place on kitchen towel until completely dry
- Cut potatoes in half and place in bowl. Toss with oil, spices, salt and pepper
- Place potatoes evenly on baking sheet, spread out so they aren't touching
- While potatoes are roasting, make the dipping sauce
- Bake for 15 minutes, stir and flip
- Bake for 10 minutes longer until golden brown and crispy
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce